Disability Services

Services for Students with Disabilities (SSD) provides intake services, assessment of needs, and facilitation of auxiliary aids and services for students with disabilities attending LSUA. SSD also serves as a liaison between students and instructors.

Any student with a learning, physical, psychological or other disability which significantly impacts his/her academic pursuits may be eligible to receive services from SSD. SSD assists students in the determination and facilitation of auxiliary aids and services on an individual basis. The purpose of academic accommodations is to put the person with a disability on a level playing field with other students who do not have a disability.

Assistance is also available to students who experience a temporary disability or who have other functional limitations resulting from chronic or intermittent health problems such as arthritis, diabetes, epilepsy, and multiple sclerosis.

All disabilities must be documented by an appropriate agency or professional. Individual Education Plans (IEP’s) are not appropriate documentation. An evaluation is needed, and must be current (within the last 3 years).


Specialized support services include, but are not limited to, the following:

  • Disability management counseling
  • Books on tape
  • Referral for tutoring
  • Assistance with enrollment and registration
  • Liaison assistance and referral to on-campus and off-campus resources, services and agencies
  • Facilitation of access to all campus programs
  • Advocacy on behalf of students with faculty, staff and students

SSD has a strong commitment to assist students with improving individual choices, personal control of essential resources, and integration into the university community. If you need special assistance (or know another student who needs special assistance), please come by and visit, or telephone the ADA Coordinator. The Office of Services for Students with Disabilities is housed within Student Affairs. See contact information below.

Eligibility for Services

A person may be eligible for accommodations if he or she:

  • Is considered a person with disability
  • Identifies his/herself to the institution through SSD, and
  • Presents the appropiate documentation regarding the disability to the institution as required by SSD, and needs accommodation(s)

If you need assistance, have questions, or concerns, Please contact:

SSD Coordinator

Office of Services for Students with Disabilities

8100 Hwy 71 South

Alexandria, LA 71302

Phone: 318.473.6545

Fax: 318.473.6580

Email: studentservices@lsua.edu

Office Hours:

Monday — Friday (8:00 a.m. — 4:30 p.m.)


Student Center West Wing, Room 206 (above LSUA Bookstore)


The University will request information about an individual’s disability as is necessary for those University representatives making a accommodation decision to determine whether the student is in fact disabled and the need for and the manner in which the disability may reasonably be accommodated.

Disability-related documentation is defined as any documentation provided to substantiate the student’s disability status and need for accommodation(s) (e.g., psychological, psycho educational, neuropsychological, or medical evaluations; letters or other information from physicians; or medical records). Disability-related documentation is treated as medical documentation, is kept confidential, and is not to be released to anyone outside the accommodation process or the direct chain of command with the following exceptions: (a) the student gives SSD a signed release to share disability-related information with the person(s) named on the release; (b) as SSD is required and/or permitted by the law and/or court order; (c) the student is a direct threat to themselves or others; (d) if a student makes a disability-related grievance or appeal, or university attorneys for the purpose of providing legal advice to the university.

Students with disabilities have a right to review their file, which can be arranged by scheduling an appointment with the ADA Coordinator. SSD will retain a copy of all information within a student’s file for five (5) years. After the student has been inactive, the file may not necessarily be maintained. When a student with a disability requests accommodations, he or she understands that some disability-related information may be provided on a need-toknow basis to University personnel to help ensure that the student will receive appropriate accommodations. In most instances, University personnel need to know only what accommodations the student must be provided and that the student has been through the disability documentation review process at LSUA. Otherwise, University personnel do not have access to information regarding a student’s disability.

Disability Frequently Asked Questions

  1. If I register for accommodations, who will have access to my documentation?

    SSD will have access to your documentation but your disability records are confidential. For more information, see our statement on confidentiality.
  2. What services are available for students with psychological disabilities?

    Services include disability management counseling, academic accommodations, information/referral, academic crisis intervention, and advocacy.
  3. If I have consideration for absences, does that mean I don’t have to attend class?

    No. Class attendance is extremely important and may be considered an essential component of the course or program. This accommodation only applies if a class is missed for disability-related reasons. If you miss class, you are responsible for contacting your instructor and making up any missed work as soon as possible.
  4. If I am not a Vocational Rehabilitation client, can you help me?

  5. Does SSD test for disabilities in LDs and ADHD?

    No. We maintain a list of resources for this service that may be obtained from SSD.
  6. What are accommodations and how do I receive them?

    Accommodations are modifications or changes to limit the impact of a person’s disability. In order to receive accommodations, you must request them and provide documentation of your disability and how it impacts you in the academic environment. Once you have been approved to receive accommodations, your letters will be prepared at the beginning of each semester.
  7. Does SSD provide tutoring?

    No, Tutoring is offered through the Student Success Center. LSUA has Writing Cetner for help in Enlish, and a Math/Science Lab to assist students in these areas.
  8. Who is responsible for getting the documentation I need to apply for services?

    You are responsible for getting the appropriate documentation to SSD. SSD may assist you in facilitating the process. However, you must follow up with your provider. All related costs incurred are your responsibility.
  9. I have a medical condition. Is that considered a disability?

    If you have a medical condition, you may be eligible for accommodations if the condition results in a functional limitation in a major life activity.
  10. I have a learning disability. Will LSUA waive entrance requirements because of my disability?

    No. The University does not waive entrance requirements for students with learning disabilities.
  11. Will my transcript indicate that I received accommodations?

    No. Your disability records are confidential and are not part of your LSUA transcript.
  12. Does the University have tuition scholarships available for students with disabilities?

    No. LSUA does not have tuition scholarships specially designated for students with disabilities. Students with disabilities are eligible for scholarships or other financial aid to the same extent as they would be if they did not have a disability.
  13. I am unable to walk long distances because of my disability. What is available to me?

    You may be eligible to receive a handicapped permit that would allow you to park closer to your classes. In order to obtain a permit for handicapped parking, you must contact Auxiliary Services. Auxiliary Services is located within the Student Center on the second floor.
  14. If my doctor makes accommodation recommendations, will I receive those accommodations?

    While recommendations are considered when determining reasonable accommodations, they are not mandatory. Your doctor makes these recommendations to aid in the accommodation determination.
  15. Are "disability" and "handicap" the same thing?

    • A "disability" is a condition caused by accident, trauma, genetic or diseases that may limit a person's mobility, hearing, vision, speech or mental function. A person may have one or more disabilities.
    • A “handicap” is a physical or attitudinal constraint imposed upon a person; for example, stairs, narrow doorways, and curbs are handicaps imposed upon people with disabilities who use wheelchairs.
  16. Are accommodations retroactive?

    No. Accommodations are not retroactive. Accommodations for otherwise qualified students with disabilities do not take effect until you have completed registration with SSD and have provided the faculty member with your Accommodation Form. You must give faculty members at least three (3) school days notice before use of an accommodation. SSD cannot require the instructor or anyone else to make changes in grades for assignments/exams given prior to notifying the instructor of the accommodations.
  17. Does SSD pay for interpreting services?

    Yes. If a student meets his/her responsibilities, LSUA/SSD pays for all interpreting services to deaf and hard of hearing students for classroom functions.
  18. How do I request an interpreter for my classes?

    Call or otherwise notify SSD at least two (2) weeks prior to the beginning of the semester. Interpreters are in short supply. The sooner SSD knows of your needs the more likely we are to secure an interpreter by the beginning of class.
  19. Will does my interpreter leave when I am late for class?

    Interpreters are required to wait 10 minutes after the beginning of class. If you do not arrive prior to the interpreter leaving, you will receive a “no show” for that class. See the “no show” policy for more information.
  20. Will my Individual Education Plan (IEP) serve as my documentation to receive services?

    No. Individual Education Plans are not an assessment of your disability. They serve only as a guide for accommodations you received while in high school. In order to receive services, an copy of a current evaluation is needed. These are usually available through the assessment center for your school.